Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer: For Warriors, Agyemang's Late Goal in Overtime Proves Golden

Men's Soccer: For Warriors, Agyemang's Late Goal in Overtime Proves Golden

MANSFIELD, Conn. – Freshman Patrick Agyemang (East Hartford) knocked in a head ball off a cross from freshman Jackson Trierweiler (Framingham, MA) 13 minutes into sudden-death overtime to lift the Eastern Connecticut State University men's soccer team to its first win over Trinity College since 2007, 4-3, Tuesday night in a non-conference match at the Mansfield Outdoor Complex.

Agyemang, who shares the lead lead with four goals and ten points, had a hand in all four Eastern goals by scoring two and setting up two others with his aggressive play.

Trinity (1-2-0) scored three times in a span of 16 minutes early in the second half to erase a two-goal halftime deficit and move into its only lead in the 64th minute, but the Warriors (4-0-0) forced overtime when freshman Joel Richards (Bridgeport) connected for the tying goal off an assist from Agyemang with 18 minutes left in regulation, and Agyemang's second goal of the match – fourth this year – game the Warriors the win with 6:58 left in overtime.

On the winning goal, Eastern had possession in its offensive third. The Warriors tried to make a run through the box but the ball was deflected by a Trinity defender and headed out of bounds. Trierweiler tracked it down, teed it up, and sent a long cross to Agyemang, stationed in the middle of the box, six yards away from the goal. The athletic 6-foot-3 inch player leaped above two defenders and headed it to the far right corner of the box, where sophomore keeper Andrew Clark leaped in vain as the ball eluded his outstretched left hand and settle into the back of the net as the Warriors' bench exploded.

Trinity had beaten Eastern the last six times the clubs had met – the last five times by one goal. The victory is Eastern's first at home over the Bantams since posting an identical 4-3 overtime win in 2002.

In a physical game featuring five yellow cards, the Warriors raced to a 2-0 advantage with two goals 11 minutes part. Agyemang recorded his third of the year in the 19th minute, and junior Justin Jensen (Wethersfield) made it 2-0 in the 30th minute. Agyemang's goal followed a long goal kick from senior keeper Ryan Murphy (Cromwell). The free kick bounced twice in the Eastern offensive end and Agyemang outmaneuvered two Trinity defenders to the ball, cut inside toward space and hammered a low left-footed 18-yarder just inside the near right post. Jensen created his own goal 11 minutes later when his through-ball in the middle of the box sprung Agyemang behind the Trinity defense. Clark dove to diffuse the 1v1 try and got his hand on the ball -- tripping up Agyemang -- but lost possession. The ball rolled behind him, where Jensen, following his initial pass, fired it past a Trinity defender attempting to protect the open net.

After bolting to its 2-0 lead, Eastern had to play catchup after the Bantams moved ahead  early in the second half. Richards' tying goal originated in the back, where a long serve from the left defensive third had Agyemang and Trinity senior defender Alex Steel in a footrace. As the two battled to control the ball, Clark raced out in his bid to break up the play but was unable to gain possession, falling in a heap. While the three players struggled, an on-rushing Richards charged past and with one touch, directed a shot into an unprotected goal.

Senior Ryan Murphy (Cromwell) made three saves for the win in net with Clark stopping four shots for Trinity.

Eastern visits Keene State College in its Little East Conference opener Saturday at 2 p.m